The beginnings of the Archives as an institution in Kosovo dates back to the end of the World War II, respectively in 1948, when within the Provincial Directorate for Education and Culture, was establoshed the Archival Center, which cared for the protection and recording of archival material.
On March 20, 1951, by the Decision of the Provincial Council was established the Kosovo State Provincial Archives and thus the functioning of the archival service in Kosovo began.
This institution until 1965 was under the direct supervision and funding of the Provincial Executive Council of Kosovo
After 1968, regional and municipal archives began to be established, by which also started the setting up of an archival network in the territory of Kosovo: thus the Inter-municipal Archives of Prizren, then Peja, Mitrovica, Gjilan, Pristina and the Historical Archives of Gjakova were established.
After the abolition of Kosovo's autonomy and the imposition of violent measures in all institutions of the country, subsequently the Kosovo Archives was administered by these violent measures, too.
Whereas, after the end of the recent war in Kosovo (1998-1999), likewise all other activities, also the archival service underwent a positive change.
Initially, the archival service in Kosovo was within the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, but based on European experiences, the Law no. 02 / L-80, on July 13, 2006, administration of archives within the Government of Kosovo takes on a new form of organization: the Archives is organized in the State Agency within the Office of the Prime Minister until December 31, 2016, whereas by the decision of the Government from January 1, 2017, it operates within the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports.